Second Sunday Advent
This season of Advent is similar to that of Lent, in the sense that both are times we are invited to experience spiritual renewal in our lives. Both are a call to repentance and transformation, from sin and division to grace and wholeness.
Today's gospel text places the call to repentance of John the Baptist and the imminent appearance of the Lord as two forces pulling people toward unity with one another and peace with God. His message of repentance is one of hope and optimism. Repentance will restore one's vision, finding God again, belonging at the center of one's life.
In the first reading, the prophet Baruch writes of alienation from God, and the suffering this brings. But there is the promise of healing, of suffering left behind as the cloak of God's mercy and justice is wrapped around all who remember and seek God.
The first and gospel readings of our Advent liturgy help us to focus our spiritual lives on the call to renewal through repentance, as well as on our desire for God to be present to us, to be with us.
Some questions for Advent prayer and reflection. Is there someone with whom I need to reconcile? Do I need to make amends with a family member? Where do I need healing—physical, mental, emotional, spiritual—that “all flesh shall see the salvation of God” will be granted to me? Do I need to forgive myself for the wreckage I have done? How can I initiate healing in a broken relationship? How can I rest in God's mercy and peace while struggling with my sobriety? How can my smoldering faith be reignited?
If the first and gospel readings call us to the work of reconciliation and peace with God during this time of Advent, the second reading invites us at the same time to live our faith in love and righteousness. Advent is a time for prayer and reflection as well as a time for action and works. In the second reading, St. Paul reminds the Philippians that, having heard the gospel, they are to increase their love, doing the works of Christ.
Our Advent liturgy instructs us, its action a guide for us. The Word and Eucharist--the Word that calls us to renewal; the Eucharist that teaches us to give.
During this time of Advent, we set our gaze on the light of the Advent wreath and learn to be patient with ourselves. Renewal takes time. But the light will increase; we will find spiritual progress. Meanwhile, our love and compassion towards others will be a sign of hope. God's grace is with us.
We are mindful of those for whom this time of year is one filled with sadness, despair, loneliness, and little hope. We want to be the love of Christ for them, opening our hearts and hands for them.
Last Saturday, after our vigil Mass, two homeless women came by our red doors where I was standing, in Advent vestments, and asked if I would pray with them. One cried as we prayed, like the cry of the prophet in the desert, praying for God's healing, forgiveness, and peace….We are all waiting.
Thursday, January 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment